Ever since the closure of the coal mines in Limburg, Paul Boutsen has been an active contributor to the creation of a new Mining Region, particularly concerning the formation and promotion of solutions for the repurposing of the mining patrimony and the coalmining sites.
- A new long-term vision (2020 – 20230) for ZLDR mine, the area of and around the Zolder coal mine in Limburg.
- The creation of a master plan for the MARCASSE mining site in the Borinage.
- “Stadt-Box-Leoben” a concept for a mobile activation workshop for the city of Leoben in Austria.
- The creation of the Cleantech Campus and Greenville in Houthalen-Helchteren. greenville.be
- The concept for the Visitor Centre in C-Mine / Winterslag. c-minegenk.be
- A plan for the touristic valorisation of the mining heritage commissioned by Toerisme Limburg (tourism authority).
- Project Officer for the Flemish Government, department Monuments and Sites as a networker for the redevelopment of the protected mining patrimony
- Staff member for Streekplatform Mijnstreek/ Midden-Limburg for the domain: repurposing, master planning mining terrains, tourism, ‘Kolenspoor’ (coaltrack) as a carrier for regional development.
- Representative of the Limburg mining region in EURACOM, network of local governments from mining regions in Europa.
- Promotor of the Kolenspoor as a carrier for new coherence in the Mining Region.
- Coordinator for STEBO, community work and project organisation concerning life, work and entrepreneurship in Limburg. stebo.be
- Founder of vzw Het Vervolg, project centre for coalfield regions. This independent development agency initiates projects and cooperation at the intersection of regional development, media and culture, tourism and heritage. hetvervolg.org
- Community worker in Zwartberg / Genk.
- Open Buurtatelier Genk-Noord: fabrication of wooden play equipment.
- Community worker in Mechelen: urban renewal and welfare planning in Klein Begijnhof Heembeemd.